Monday 21 January 2008

Mid January..

Hi every one
This month has seemed to fly by hasn’t it? I know a lot of you have asked me to blog just to keep you updated with things.

Well, good news, I’ve found a Nanny to help with a few days after school. (Thanks again Diana). Her name is Jo. She’s an absolute find I have to say. She works in the lunch times at Archfield nursery (Iona spent 4 very happy years there), although Jo has only worked there the last year. Iona and Jo get along very nicely. Joan and I really like her to. Early days I know but fingers crossed. She was with her last family for nine years!

I do keep watching out for Iona to show some noticeable reaction to the last couple of months. It’s hard to see anything really out of the ‘norm’. I’ve decided to go to the Bridge foundation, they deal with bereaved families. I want to get some useful advice on what I should be experiencing with Iona, and things I probably will in the future. They must be good, you’ve got to wait weeks & weeks to see anybody! Don’t know if you remember Vicky and I were booked into the Bridge last year, we had an appointment in early November! Anyway a little professional help and advice is always welcome.

Joan is still here in Bristol, helping with lots of things. I had to go on a course last week for a few days, to improve my management skills. Some of my team said 3 days wouldn’t be enough! And 3 years would be more like it!.. Anyway Iona stayed round at Joan's flat, which is such an invaluable help. She has the flat until May. By then I should be into some sort of routine. And remember the fact that clothes don’t wash themselves,things stay where they’re left unless put away and the fridge needs filling. Also school holidays, never bothered me before, funny that? Trying to get cover is a new one on me, Joan to the rescue.

The school mums & dads are still being great. I’ve said it before but it’s worth saying again I know I can count on so many of them for practical or emotional support. It’s so reassuring. Thanks.

This weekend Iona, Laura (my daughter) and I went to Hartland, North Devon. Jacqui & Shane invited us down with their neighbours. Stayed in an amazing farm house. Children and hay bells in a barn, who needs PS3 or Nintendo Wii ? All of the children had a great time. If the kids are happy then we’re happy right ? ‘Lovely lovely lovely’ to quote VW.

Much love

Martin & Iona X.

11 comments:

Raych said...

Hi Martin, Thanks for your message on the blog. It's good to know how you're getting on. You and Iona must come over to Bath sometime in the not too distant future and remember I can do lifts to and from Edinburgh in school holidays if that's any help and we can co-ordinate ourselves (not that you look too good in pink! HA ha!). lots of love and see you soon, Raych x

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,

Good to hear your news. It sounds like you're coping wonderfully. Vicky will be proud. Well done for seeking advice and good luck with it - it can only help to prepare you for what you may face in the future. You're doing Iona proud too.

How lovely that Joan can help out and be really involved in Iona's life. I'm sure that's good therapy for her too.

We're moving to Sydney in 2 weeks, so excuse us if you don't hear from us for a few weeks - we're frantic!

All our love, big hugs and kisses too!

Sarah & Andrew xx

Anonymous said...

Hi, guys - just wanted to say thanks for the update and I hope you keep them coming! love, Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, I didn't realise you were continuing the blog. I just came on to say how much we all still think of Vicky and of course you and Iona. Don't forget that we are always around for an emergency Tuesday pick up and if Iona is ever ill on a Wednesday and you need someone to look after her, just call. Hope to see you at Phil's party. Any suggestions as to what should go in the punch? Sarah W

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin

Good to hear its all going ok as I never seem to get a chance to talk to you in the playground! You're always surrounded.

Don't forget Redland Rascals for school holidays, Laura and Emma both regulars and plenty of others from Colstons.

So pleased Iona's coping so well, and that you're getting prepared for any future issues.

Mums night out next wednesday, our first without Vicky.....

See you Suzi, Luke, L,H.F

Anonymous said...

What about a boys night out?

Or otherwise, as you seem to have some free time on your hands, how about running this blinking marathon for me?

As a 'successful' manager, all I can say is - Treat them mean to keep them keen. You can't make an omelette without cracking some eggs. The only time some people work like a horse is when the boss rides them. - Plenty more where that came from if you need some advice.

Cheers,

Luke

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin

Good to hear from you. If you don't have any joy in getting an appointment with the Bridge Foundation a good friend of mine recommended Winson's Wish www.winstonswish.org.uk. Paul her husband died about 5 years ago when her son John was six and she and John both found it really helpful.I think more than anything it was useful to meet up with others who had had similar experiences.

Sounds like you're doing well though but I'm sure its not easy - it sounds like you have great support though.

Ruth W

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin

It was good to talk with you a couple of weeks back and it's great to read this. I'm thinking of you a lot, and glad you're holding up so well. You gotta look after you as well as that lovely little girl, and it's wonderful you have so much inner strength and also so much support from all your friends, your family and Vicky's family too. I was up in Fife today, and spent a wee while in the town that Vicky, Margot, Rachel and I stayed in on our 2004 girls weekend away - I thought of Vicky even more than usual and shall go back later this month to see if the carpets of snowdrops we visited are as magnificent as they were then. If you're up in Edinburgh for half-term and have the time, we could all go there together.

Take care of yourself, know that you have lots of friends north of the border (just don't mention the rugby till we've got over today's performance...) Take care, Emma xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,
You sound like you're doing really well. Well done. As others have said:Vicky would be proud of you !
I think of you and Iona alot and often picture you in the the sunny front room of the flat in Bristol.
We, the Watsons girls, are trying to organise our annual reunion. The first one without Vicky. There will be more of us this year as Vicky had already said she'd like to have bigger reunions in the future so we'll be doing just that.
Keep up the good work and remember that you always have a place to stay in Milan.
Love Sarah B.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin-its great you are finding time to keep us updated with the blog. think of you and Iona often-well done it sounds like you are doing a great job of things which must be so hard whilst dealing with your own grief! Take good care of yourself and say hello to Laura what a fab big sister she is! Hope to bump into you all next time we visit J and S and gang. Love Vicki Foster (and the rest of us up in Shipley!)xx

Helen said...

Hi Martin,

Thinking of you, Iona and of course Joan this week, with Mothers' Day coming up. It must be a particularly painful time and our hearts go out to you.

I am sure the school - and hopefully Bridge - will be supporting Iona. Winstonswish has a list of some lovely ideas for Mother's Day, such as sending your card skyward on a balloon and having your mum's favourite meal.

In case it helps (and I do hope this isn't an unwelcome intrusion), here's the URL..(Mothers' Day ideas are towards the bottom of the page):

http://www.winstonswish.org.uk/page.asp?section=00010001000200020003

Best wishes. You'll all be in our thoughts on Sunday.

Helen, Quent and Oakley x