Sunday 20 April 2008

Somebody wants to wear sandals..!

Well in early March we had parents evening, Joan was down here then, and it was good she came along to. Mr Jarman said Iona is doing very well, and he has noticed not too much of a change in her. Which was surprising considering? He even said she’s started to get more vocal in class discussions.

I did the Bath Half in a respectable time, nobody in fancy dress beat me which was pleasing! Got some races lined up for the summer.

Easter was fun. I visited a friend in Leighton Buzzard and then went up to Helen & Andy’s in Southport. Helen did a wonderful Easter egg hunt through the house! Leaving little clues all over the place, Iona loved it. And went to Chester Zoo. What a Zoo that is! Spent the whole day there. Lovely.

As you know Iona and I have been visiting the Bridge Foundation. Iona just listens whilst drawing.. but takes it ALL in... You know children, they pick things up when they’re not even in the same room usually don’t they?... I talk about things, every now and then Iona pops up and corrects me if I get the slightest detail wrong.

St. Peters hospice also has a children’s group, spread over the next 8 weeks. It’s for Children who have lost a parent or someone significant. The first day was in March, about 14 children their ages from 4- 16. Iona really didn’t want me to leave but with a little help from Judy Marshall I managed to ‘escape’.Its a all day event, and they go on a ‘journey’ through what they’ve all shared in one way or another. It’s nothing to heavy of course, lots of art work, music, dancing and playing. Iona didn’t complain when I picked her up anyway. Above all it’s helpful for Iona to see she’s not the only child who has lost someone and there are other children going through what she is. They all placed a picture of the special person at a ‘memory tree’ at the end of the day. Two more dates are planned.

Had small drama a few weeks ago. I had a call at one o’clock in the afternoon from the school. The school secretary told me Iona had a bad fall and hurt her head. She said it was really quite bad and could I collect her. The strangest thing happened as she finished telling me.. I remember thinking to myself (albeit for a second) what’s wrong with calling Vicky to collect her? Why call me? Then felt very silly for thinking that. She was still crying when I got there. Iona doesn’t normally cry for that long unless it’s bad. I took her to the Doctors for a check. Iona just couldn’t remember how it happened or who she was playing with and was wobbly on her feet... anyway no lasting damage.

I took last week off and spent a lovely week with Iona. Actually looked after Ella, one of Ony's school friends for a few days. Horse world, horse riding and swimming. Legoland for a couple of days. Laura came to which was nice.

My brother and I helped out with the London Marathon, whilst Ony stay with my sister in law in Cambridge for the weekend.

Joan is down this week and has been occupying her all week. Joan is keeping the flat for a while longer.

I’ve got two Stags do’s..This weekend and next! Get in! Mountain biking this Saturday in Wales and strangely enough the next Stag weekend is up to Edinburgh. Hannah Marsh & Rich are getting married late May and Sarah & Andrew (Skip) in a few weeks.

Hope all you I don’t speak to regularly are all fine.

Oh I called this entry ‘Someone wants to wear sandals’ because I have got some new sandals for Iona (Boden of course very Vicky) and she’s just so desperate to start wearing them, I get asked every day Very soon I hope!

Love

Martin & Iona x

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin & Iona
Great to hear you've been having lots of fun lately! It's lovely to hear all your news.

I can empathise with Iona's sandals dilemma - I really want to go camping but the weather's too cold, I keep hoping we'll have a heatwave like last April.

I'm enjoying my new job at Lloyds TSB but I'm missing dissecting every episode of the Apprentice with Vicky and the DB girls, particularly as they're all so horrid this year, I don't like any of them - bring back the badger!

Emma xx

Anonymous said...

Just read your latest blog entry Martin. Sounds like you are both doing really well and just as busy as if Vicky was here (well, maybe not quite!). Have fun on the stag weekends - I'm sure you've got the staying power!

Love from us down in Devon,

Judy xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin and Iona.
So glad to hear you are doing so well. I think of you so often.

Good to see you are keeping up the running. Didn't fancy running London this year then? Peter was desperately trying to find it on Oz TV. He used to really enjoy those weekends. Being part of the buzz and the atmosphere of it all, and of course the 'booze-up' in the evening!! But I think mostly he misses being with you guys and the fun you used to have.

Glad that Mark and Jo have finally moved to Cambridge. Tell them to contact us with all thier details.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Lots of love,
Frances, Peter Matthew and Stephen.
xxxx
(From a very warm and sunny Melbourne, but don't wish to brag!! We will soon be in winter)

Anonymous said...

Just wondered how things were going, so glad to see an update. Glad things seem to be going well.
It's great that you are both managing to have some fun. Best wishes to you all from Elly at Bristol Tourist Office.

Helen said...

Hi Martin and Iona,

I was just thinking of you as I arrange Oakley's childcare for our next load of Q's treatment.

Good to hear you are doing well. We think of you often. Hope you enjoyed Legoland, which is a favourite haunt of ours. (although we are lucky we can go in termtime still). And am sure the Bridge / St Peter's time is important for you both.

I just wanted you to know that there are still just as many people cheering you on, even if we are not as sure what comment to leave these days. I guess "good on you" sums up what we are all feeling.

Take care. Very impressed you can carry on running. Personally, the gym is the first thing to go, when I am overstretched. ;o)

All the best,
Helen, Quent and Oakley.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you and Iona are keeping well.... apart from all of Ionas bumps and dents!!! well it is inevitable. sounds like youve all been busy here there and everywhere x keep in touch vicky green x

Rod and Muir said...

Hi Martin and Iona
So glad you are keeping well - and very busy by the sounds of things!
Now that summer is on the way I am sure you will both get up to plenty of adventures -
It is really good of you to keep us all informed with your blog - it is so nice to hear what you are up to.
We are looking forward to better weather - Rod has his boat back on the water at last so we are looking forward to a bit of sailing again! Hoist the Jolly Roger!!
Keep well - and much love to you both.
Your Friends in the North - Muir and Rod xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin and Iona,

So pleased to catch up on your news, we think of you both so often. Great to read Iona is having fun and doing so well. Well done on the running too. I was passed on the final stretch by a mum running and pushing a toddler in a pram - even worse than fancy dress!

From what I've heard I expect the sandals have been worn in by now as your weather has been lovely! We're finally seeing temperatures on the up (although Rik was in Montreal last week and they STILL have snow piles in car parks).

Roll on summer,

Love Ali B

Anonymous said...

Hi there ! Sounds like your running all over the place. good on you. I've taken up tennis again for the summer and have been dragged into the local tournament next week which I'm dreading. Last year most of my shots landed in the car park !
Summer is definitely on hold here. can you believe it's rained for more than two weeks ! I fully understand the Boden sandal thing as have done exactly the same thing ! Isabella pulls them out the wardrobe continually and wants to go to nursery in them in the pouring rain.
Us Watsons girls still haven't got a reunion organised as both gill and Claire are up to their eye balls in moving house and we're supposed to move september so don't know when a reunion will be.
Please say hi to Joan for me. I got your e-mail but have been awful at replying to friends lately - always such a rush between work and kids. No excuse really.
Anyway I'm glad you are both fine and Iona is managing OK. I think of Vicky often and then wonder how the two of you are in the flat I can picture so well.
Love to you both,
Sarah in Milano.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm writing this on a glorious sunny evening so hopefully the sandals have been out in force over the past few days and hopefully in May as well.

Think about you both daily and about Vicky - I have very odd dreams and moments of "I must tell Vicks this or that" and then remember; can only begin to imagine your thoughts.

Life here is busy - Elouise now 15 months and very entertaining, although into everything and very strong willed ... the terrible twos seem to be starting very early!

Look forward to reading your next update and am hoping to be your way later in the summer.

Take care and lots of love to you both.

Lizzie H-B

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, so nice to read your blog and think of you and Iona in Bristol and of course Joan as well.

I was in Moscow for work and that reminded me of Vicky and wondered what she would make of it now. I was trying to calculate which year she first went there - maybe Emma can fill us in on that one. I found it fascinating and look forward to going back there in the autumn.
We're gearing up for our summer holiday in Croatia and of course Vladi and the kids stay on there until term starts again, while I'll be working out of Copenhagen for the summer.
You're way ahead of me, I haven't even bought the kids any sandals yet, hope there's a shop at Stansted...
Lots of love to you both, you're doing great by the sounds of things and Iona is marvellous. Thinking of you very very often.
Claire, Vladi, Paul, Julien & Innes