Friday 21 November 2008

November

Hi All

I couldn’t write earlier just found it a little difficult. It was a tough week for all of us I’m sure. I felt the pressure of the painful memories building up.

Iona was well aware of the significance. But didn't show it outwardly. I did try and see if she’d want to do anything in particular on Friday, not surprisingly for those of you that know her, she flatly refused. Which was fine. Friday is my day for picking Iona up from school and we did some cooking! (Thanks Margot great children’s cooking utensils &cook book). We did look at some family photos after and that was nice. Then Iona had the Colston’s Spooky Disco. Iona took her broom, cape and mask. Far to cute, to be a scary Witch. Well, I am biased. Finally, a sleepover at Orla’s. Those two are such good little friends.

I went out on the Friday evening with Jacqui, Hannah and Shane. We decided to go to the Deco Lounge. It was where Vicky had her 40th Birthday Party. We raised a glass or two. Chatting with Jacqui, it did dawn on me how the last year has changed some many people’s lives. And how we have all had to live with the huge empty void that is life without Vicky.

Emma Gray came down over that weekend. We took Iona down to the Waterfront on Saturday. One of Vicky’s favourite parts of the City. We took a moment to drop some flowers in the Dock, remembering mummy. Iona was worried if people saw us throwing flowers in, but it was ok. Iona helped drop a few into the water. Felt, I want to say comforting but it doesn’t sound enough. It just felt appropriate to do that.

Iona then showed us round the SS Great Britain. Joan had taken her there earlier in the year and Iona loved it. In fact, for a Bristolian I have to say I’d never been on board. It was fab. All of you at Destination Bristol must be proud. Well worth a look if any of you visit our lovely City! After Woodstock Rd of course!

The Destination Bristol Girlies had some pink cakes last Friday which was a great way to mark the day. (Sorry I couldn’t get there!) We had lots of very lovely texts, phone calls, poems, cards, and flowers. Thank you to all of you.

A year passed. I know you all miss her terribly, as we do. One thing I do know she’d be very proud of her little girl. Like I am.

Lots of love

Martin & Iona x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,

I did think of Vicky and you two and somehow ended up in Fat Face and bought something vaguely pink.

I hope you two are ok and hope to see you soon, either in Edinburgh or Bristol.
Big hugs,
Barbara

Rod and Muir said...

Dear Martin and Iona

We did think of you both - and Joan too but were unsure about contacting you. However it is lovely to read how you marked the day. Vicky would have probably agreed the plan for you!
It does seem so fitting to set flowers on the water - a comforting gesture that covers all of ones emotions. Rod and I were in Liverpool Cathedral having lunch - just chatting over the events of the past year and I thought it fitting to light a candle in memory of Vicky - that little trip hadn`t been planned (Vicky would not be impressed!) - but I am so glad we were there to do just that! (I promise I will be more precise in my planning in future Vicky!)
Life moves on for you and Iona - what a treasure she has been for you and Joan - such a lovely little girl and yes - Vicky would have been so proud of her - and dare I say you too Martin - you have been a great treasure in sharing so much with those of us who like to know - and care - how you are doing !
Much love to you all
Your Friends in the North - Muir and Rod xxx

Rod and Muir said...

Hi Martin and Iona
Well here we are so close to Christmas - and we don`t know where to send your Christmas card to! We don`t even have your `proper` e.mail address - how bad is that!
Please can you send it to us and we can at least send an e.card for Iona to open and enjoy.
This is such an emotional time of year - for whatever reason - and for most people I would guess. We all have little things that give us lots to think about - family, friends, places we have been to at Christmas and have a special memory - but there is nothing better than to think of those people who mean such a lot to us not only at Christmas but throughout the year - and its just lovely to let these people know that they are special to us - Martin and Iona - you are two such people and we want you to know that we are thinking of you both and send our warmest wishes a much love to you this Christmas time.
We hope you enjoy the festive season and wish you health and happiness for 2009.
From your Friends in the North -
Muir and Rod xxx